Thursday, June 2, 2011

Women's Fancy Dance

It was about five years ago that I found out I am Native. It has been such a struggle trying to trace my Ancestry. I started going to powwows (about a year ago), with a friend of mine (also a Native), and after seeing the different dance styles... I knew I had to learn how to dance the Women's Fancy Dance. 

It's not even about competition, because (as I expressed to my friend) I don't really care about competing. I want to dance for my Ancestors and for the Elders. I want to dance b/c dancing brings peace to my soul. 

My Grandma is going to be helping me make my regalia. We are going to start with my shawl. Every design on my shawl will have personal meaning to me. I know it wont be a quick process.. it will take time for me to be able to go see my Grandma and start working on things, but aren't most good things worth the wait?

For those who may not be familiar with the Woman's Fancy Dance (also called Butterfly Dance) here are a couple of videos.



No comments:

Post a Comment